1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels1 can of peas, drained 2 tablespoons buttercooking spray 1 large onion, chopped1/2 medium onion, chopped 1 stalk celery , chopped2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef broth1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
or 1 cup crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
*Note: You can see where I crossed out and made personal modifications to the recipe.
Directions I used:
1. Boil potatoes in pot.
2. In a skillet, saute onions and celery
3. Add very lean beef
4. Add broth, flour, then diced tomatoes, then seasonings. Add drained canned peas.
5. Spray casserole pan and layer meat filling.
6. Make mashed potatoes and place on top of the filling.
7. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and paprika.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Instead of sauting the veggies in butter, I just used cooking spray. Instead of using corn, I just drained a can of peas and added it at the end.
For my mashed potatoes, I did a basic garlic dirty mashed potatoes. I was too lazy to peel potatoes, so I just cut 4 medium potatoes into 3rds, and boiled it for about 25 minutes. Next time I will boil it a bit longer to make sure they are easier to mash... I added about 1 cup of skim milk, 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 cloves of minced garlic... delicious! The best way to fluff it up is using a hand mixer!