Friday, December 3, 2010

Recipe: Chocolate Mint Squares

I found this recipe for Chocolate Mint Squares on the Joy of Baking Website: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateMintSquares.html

Of course, I never bake according to directions... so...

I made a homemade batch of brownies from scratch using my favorite brownie recipe... though, I am sure you can use just a box of brownie mix and no one will be able to tell the difference. I made only half a batch of brownies to fit into a 8x8 pan because these little suckers are so rich that really... you don't need a WHOLE batch of them... especially when it's just for you and your husband. If you have family coming in though... this would call for a whole batch.

I did follow the Joy of Baking recipes for the mint frosting and the chocolate topping.


Mint Layer:
tablespoons(28 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (115 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract or 1-2 tablespoons creme de menthe
green food coloring (optional)

Chocolate Glaze:
3 ounces (90 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter


Directions I used:

Bake brownies and cool.

Combine all Frosting ingredients, and blend till smooth. Spread on top of brownies.

Melt Chocolate chips and butter in microwave (30 seconds at a time) until smooth.

Spread on top of frosting.

Refrigerate for one hour and then serve.

One modification I did make... I used 2 Tablespoons of whipping cream instead of just 1.5 Tablespoons for the frosting... and for the chocolate topping... I had to add some whipping cream to that too because it did not melt properly... sigh... it's not as smooth as I would have liked... maybe next time.


Heavenly goodness.... my husband had 3 pieces in ONE sitting!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, chocolate mint squares! Ask Nathan about the ones made by Mrs. Sheetz. Her's are fabulous! Maybe you two use the same recipe.

    ReplyDelete